Winmalee High School has two support dogs, Benny and Harley. Benny and Harley support student wellbeing in our school.
Harley's purpose is to support students who are experiencing stress, are highly anxious or are in the Learning Hub to get additional support for learning and wellbeing needs. Benny will be in the front office area, and will provide support to the front office team, allowing students who visit the office for assistance, the option of interacting with the dog. Both dogs will de-escalate stress for students by their calming presence.
The dogs have a collar and bandanna which identifies them as members of Winmalee High School. The bandanna signifies they are at work and on duty and they are easily identified.
Each dog will be on duty for two days per week, with Benny at school on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and Harley on Tuesdays and Fridays.
Support Dog Guidelines
- Let staff know if you are scared of dogs, or you have an allergy to dog hair.
- Students should not eat around the dog or feed the dog.
- Let the dog approach you first, before patting it. Lean down, put your hand out and allow the dog to come towards you.
- Avoid touching/patting the dog on the head and face (pat on the neck, back and body).
- Wash your hands if you have patted the dog.
- If the dog is resting in its bed, leave it alone.